Welcome to day 27 in my 100 posts in 100 days! I’m so excited you’re here because today were talking about SEO (Search Engine Optimization)!
Did I ever tell you that I worked for a hosting company for nine years? It’s true, I did. In that time, I had a very frequent conversation with new website owners. They would call in and ask me why their site wasn’t up. I would go to their site and see it was up and after a few minutes of troubleshooting, I would realize they were looking for their site on Google. I then had to explain to them that their site, being only a few hours old, would need some time to rank with Google and even then it likely wouldn’t be on the front page. This was usually outrageous to them and I had to go on to ask exactly what they were searching for in Google to find themselves. They would say something like “Arizona Wedding Photography.” Great search phrase… that’s a good phrase to want to rank for. The downside is, when I search that exact term on Google, over THIRTY TWO MILLION results come up. 32,000,000. And everyone is competing for the top seven or so spots.
If that scares you, that’s totally fine. It only makes that top spot more valuable for the people who can climb to it, and I will tell you, it takes time and effort. Just like anything else.
Now the first 2-4 spots are ads. So, you can just pay Google to show you up there. About 30% of the clicks will go to those ads. The other 70% go to the “organic” or unpaid results. You can probably see huge sites that are nearly impossible to beat out are next. Wedding Wire, The Knot, Junebug Weddings, Yelp. So, logically, it would be a good idea to create a profile for those sites. That way, when someone clicks on them, you’ll be included among the listed photographers.
So, what exactly do you have to do to earn a top rank on Google? The way you can make SEO as simple as possible is if you think about it as building a relationship with Google. You need to let Google know you’re there, you’re consistently posting good and valued content on your specific niche, and that you’re there for the long haul. There are several ways you can do this and you should do them all. We’ve all heard of keywords and meta tags… those are things everyone does. So it’s hard to ride that wave alone to the front page. So, we’re gonna do a list… because I love lists.
Whew. How are you feeling? That was a lot of info and kind of a heavy post! Hopefully you learned something, let me know in the comments which one you’re excited to try first and I’ll see you tomorrow for day 28: Finding More Hours in a Day!
Day 98 is currently reserved for any questions you have throughout the next 100 days. To submit a question, please click here! If you’re interested in supporting this project, please share, PIN and comment! Any other questions, comments or ideas, please feel free to email me at denise(at)denisekaris(dot)com
|Denise Karis is an Arizona wedding photographer who enjoys musicals, Doctor Who and breakfast burritos. IG @denisekaris|
Hey. Do you mind if I tell you a story? One you might not have heard. All the elements in your body were forged many many millions of years ago in the heart of a faraway star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. After so, so many millions of years, these elements came together to form new stars and new planets. And on and on it went. The elements came together and burst apart, forming shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings. Until, eventually, they came together to make you. You are unique in the universe. There is only one of you. And there will never be another.